Data Protection Policy
Keeping Your Records
Our practice complies with the 1998 Data Protection Act and this policy describes our procedures for ensuring that personal information about the patients is processed fairly and lawfully.
Personal Data We Hold
In order to provide you with a high standard of dental care and attention we need to hold information about you. This personal data comprises of:
- Your past and current medical and dental condition, personal details e.g. your date of birth, address, contact telephone number and your general medical practitioner details
- Radiographs, clinical photographs and study models
- Information about the treatment that we have provided or propose to provide and its cost
- Records of conversations and incidents that might occur and require records kept
- Consent to treatment
- Correspondence relating to you with other health providers e.g. hospital or community services.
Why Do We Hold Information About You?
We need to keep comprehensive and accurate personal data in order to provide safe and appropriate care. We need to process information about you in order to provide care under NHS arrangements and to ensure the proper management and administration of the NHS.
How We Process Data
We will process personal data as follows:
- We will retain your dental records whilst you are a patient with our practice
- We will retain your dental records after you cease to be a patient for at least 11 years of for children until age 25, whichever is the longer
- Personal data about you is held on the practice computer system and in a manual filing system. This information is not accessible to the public and only authorised members of the team have access to it
- Our computer system has secure audit trails and we back up information routinely.
In order to provide proper and safe dental care we may need to disclose personal information about you to:
- Your General Medical Practitioner
- The Hospital or Community Dental Services
- Other Health Professionals caring for you
- NHS Payment Authorities
- Our Private Payment Plan
For further information on confidentiality please contact our Practice Manager, Mrs Julie Chilvers.